[Magdalen] Whither weather.

M J _Mike_ Logsdon mjl at ix.netcom.com
Thu Dec 24 19:44:48 UTC 2015

I just now realised how busy we're gonna be when work starts back up in January.  (We as in me and my boss; the Agency's field crew are on the job even as I type, as "essential service".)  Because of the El Nin'o, our annual floodplain public outreach mailer a couple months ago has generated an unbelievable amount of phone calls.  And now with this current wetness, and us not in the office....  The general message line could very easily be filled up by the time we get back!

The sad thing about such a flood-prone area like ours is that, yes, the Office of Emergency Services is top notch and is always at attention during such times, so no one's without the gov't's care during times of potential flooding.  But more and more the questions are about prevention, and "What should we do?"  In areas where benefit assessments give us the resources to do annual maintenance of drainage structures and make improvements as needed, things aren't so bad.  But sad to say it seems the worst potential flooding is always in areas where residents have repeatedly over the decades said No to paying for the preventative services we provide.  To those people all we can give is advice, mere suggestions, but never No Never actual instruction as to what they should do.  Because when something goes wrong it's "Well, the County told me to do it!"  We lose enough revenue on litigation as it is.