[Magdalen] Whither weather.

Sibyl Smirl polycarpa3 at ckt.net
Thu Dec 24 21:53:11 UTC 2015

Some things I just let be a Mystery, or are symptoms of the
imperfections of google maps, of the USPS, and the gov't juggling of the
highway numbering system.
http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lat=37.19843693461792&lon=-94.62030828959513&site=all&smap=1#.VnxivIX5G_V
This is my pinpoint forecast page, for my zip code 66728, but the green
square on the map is more than five miles NE of where it should be.  If
you know the zips in this area, none of the square is even in Kansas, so
it should be 648.., a Missouri zip.  I'm not sure exactly what the
boundaries of 66728 are officially, we have no home delivery, only PO
Boxes (those who want a box on the road have to use a different zip
code, of a neighboring Kansas town, which sort of "overlaps" ours.), but
the Post Office is indeed in Kansas, on that map about 1/2 mile south of
the intersection of Hwy 69 and the road that goes west to Columbus.  The
map is not entirely accurate or comprehensive in the Highway numbering
system, either:  I live in the same mile as the Post Office building,
and it's officially, now, Hwy 69A and Rte 400, running together, while
Hwy 69 itself (no A) is that road that goes west to Columbus, then turns
south from Columbus.  When I was young, I lived on Kansas Hwy 26, in the
same house that I do now.
Bureaucratic craziness.

My kids, about three miles by road from where I live, less as the crow
flies, have a wunderground weather station online, reporting conditions
at their home, somewhat more accurate and up-to-the-minute than the
Joplin Airport, on the URL above, which reports only once per
hour--also, the airport, 14 miles from me, often differs somewhat from
what's happening at my house.
http://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KKSCOLUM3#history

--
Sibyl Smirl