[Magdalen] Saline.

Arthur Laurent ALaurent at npr.org
Fri Dec 25 01:54:35 UTC 2015

"...Sterile saline solution (aka "normal saline" to us oldies) is of the same concentration as bodily fluid..."

I was taught (lo, those many years ago) that Ringer's Lactate (or, "Lactated Ringer's", if you prefer) was closest to plasma  and that we used NS only because (1) it was cheap and plentiful, (2) from field to hospital, it will keep the patient's vein(s) open (TKO) for whatever meds or whatever you may need to infuse, (While that may be true, I've had all but one nurse yank out my IVs and start her own) and (3) it most cases, NS won't kill the patient.

Perhaps they teach differently in nurse/medical school from what they teach us paramedics. I usually get grief when I bring in a pt on RL (the hospital stocks our re-supply), for what that's worth...

Arthur