[Magdalen] Christmas Day

Cantor03 at aol.com Cantor03 at aol.com
Fri Dec 25 17:22:28 UTC 2015

In a message dated 12/25/2015 12:11:50 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
scottknitter at gmail.com writes:

One  thing I'm wondering about is holding the cope, which in the past
couple of  years seems to have become an entirely practical
consideration in our  parish: ">>>>>>>

I think holding the cope in procession is required in the Tridentine  Rite
which is really what Ascension is doing.  OTOH, I don't think there  are
Anglican Liturgy Police who will swoop in to shut the Liturgy down if  there
are variances.   A lot of aisles, both central and peripheral are  not wide
enough for three sacred ministers side by side in procession, and  that's
a different story.  If it is not physically possible to hold the cope,  it
obviously
doesn't get held.

It's a carry over from the days when many priests were old and  doddering,
and needed a bit of extra help, especially if they were carrying  anything
in their hands.  The same is true for the deacon holding the  bottom of
the chasuble at the Elevations of the paten and chalice.

As one priest I know used to say, "It isn't because the celebrant wants  to
show off his fanny."

David Strang.