[Magdalen] Chicken pox

Jay Weigel jay.weigel at gmail.com
Sun Dec 27 22:50:19 UTC 2015

It is unfortunate that homeschooling has come to equal "uneducated
fundamentalist". I argue against that constantly, as I have known more
people who don't fit that mold than who do. Most of the kids I know who are
or have been homeschooled have been so because either they don't fit the
mold of the school, or because their parents wanted to give them more than
the schools were giving them, or because the school situation was simply
untenable (distance, time spent on school bus, or something of that sort).

We have a boy in our rock club who fits the first description. He is an
absolutely delightful young man, but he's one of those kids who simply does
not belong in a regular school setting. Public school, and most private
schools, would just eat him alive. He may have a slight touch of
Asperger's, or may just be a burgeoning adult too soon with no patience for
the usual "kid stuff". In any case, he is far ahead of his age group
academically and in many  other  ways, while being behind it physically.
He's fine around adults and around kids like himself. We also have a girl
who's a senior in high school and HATES high school. She's taking classes
at the community college and can't  wait to graduate and "get the hell out
of hell" as she puts it. She probably should have been homeschooled but her
parents couldn't swing it because of work scheduling. Some kids just don't
belong in regular school.