[Magdalen] Feast.

Scott Knitter scottknitter at gmail.com
Mon Dec 28 15:20:23 UTC 2015

On Sun, Dec 27, 2015 at 10:55 PM, Cantor03--- via Magdalen
<magdalen at herberthouse.org> wrote:
> My memory may be fuzzy, but the Prologue to John has served as
> the Gospel for the Mass of Christmas Day.  In any case, it is, I  think,
> the only time the deacon/priest stops the proclamation at, "and the
> Word was made flesh..." and he and the entire congregation goes
> down on one knee for awhile before finishing (In the RCC).  I
> have always been very impressed by this for it acknowledges the
> very essence of Christmas.
>
> Of course the Tridentines still do the "Last Gospel" at the end of
> every Mass, complete with the genuflection.

We normally "hit the deck" at "And the Word was made flesh," but this
year we were short-staffed (my dear partner blew off Mass despite my
pleadings; I've forgiven him but was very angry about it yesterday)
and another acolyte was AWOL. So we were all multitasking. I did see
the celebrant, standing at the sedilia, genuflect. Some parishioners
might have as well, but we hadn't reviewed this before Mass so no one
in the Gospel party did. Each year we have to sort out who does and
who doesn't. As subdeacon, I wouldn't, because I'm holding the Gospel
book; the crucifer wouldn't, either (partly because it's hugely
awkward) and neither would the two acolytes with candles who attend
the crucifer. I think the deacon, MC, and thurifer would genuflect and
so would the celebrant and anyone else left back in the sanctuary, and
the people. We pretty much missed it this year. Perhaps that'll appear
in the next airing of grievances. But attendance was very low indeed
yesterday, so maybe not.

--
Scott R. Knitter
Edgewater, Chicago, Illinois USA