[Magdalen] Listgiv from Bedford

Roger Stokes roger.stokes65 at btinternet.com
Tue Dec 29 00:20:07 UTC 2015

On 28/12/2015 19:23, Ginga Wilder wrote:
> Thank you to Roger Stokes for the most interesting collection from Bedford,
> including a beautiful lace bookmark, a pocket mirror with a painting of Lot
> and his daughters copied on the back, colored drawing pencils, and a
> postcard of a c.1850 lithograph by Henry Burn showing a view of Bedford
> from the North.  Roger, I love the variety of things you included in this
> listgiv.  Many, if not all, of these, came from The Higgins Art Gallery and
> Museum in Bedford.  I will enjoy each of these items.
>
> May your Christmas continue to be blessed.
> Ginga Wilder

Ginga,

I am glad they arrived safely in what is still Christmas weekend over
here, today being a public holiday in lieu of Boxing Day (the Feast of
Stephen) since that was a Saturday.  In the past few years the former
museum and Art Gallery have been refashioned into a single entity housed
in the former Higgins Brewery and the owner's family home, hence the
name.  Shame on me but I have not explored it properly since its
remodelling but it does provide more space for displaying what is held.
Judy's gift exhorts me to revisit Julian of Norwich and likewise I need
to visit the Higgins properly.  It's not exactly familiarity breeding
contempt but not appreciating that which is closest.

Roger