[Magdalen] Are we down?

Jim Guthrie jguthrie at pipeline.com
Sun Feb 1 03:44:28 UTC 2015

From: Scott Knitter

>I'm guessing that for greater attendance, and for music from the full
>choir, the candle blessing is moved this year to our monthly Evensong
>& Benediction.

At St MtV in NYC, they are always careful to have a Superbowl party where you
can watch the game in a convivial atmosphere:

Solemn Evensong & Benediction 5:00 PM
The service is sung by the Parish Choir of
The Church of Saint Luke, Darien, Connecticut
The music at Evensong to include
The Evening Service in G-Charles Villiers Stanford (1852-1924) &
O Thou the central orb-Charles Wood (1866-1926)
Annual Super Bowl Party follows Evensong in the Parish Hall.

A donation is invited and encouraged.
All are welcome.

And then the full monte on Groundhog Day (the low church observance of Feb 2):

Monday, February 2, 2015
Sung Matins 8:30 AM
Noonday Prayer 12:00 PM
The Blessing of Candles & Sung Mass 12:10 PM
Sermon by the Reverend James Ross Smith

Organ Recital 5:30 PM
Mark Peterson, interim organist & music director
The Blessing of Candles, Procession & Solemn Mass 6:00 PM
Sermon by the Reverend Stephen Gerth
The music at the Solemn Mass to include
Missa Qual donna-Orlande de Lassus (1532-1594) &
Maria, das Jungfrauelein-Johannes Eccard (1553-1611).
A reception in Saint Joseph's Hall follows the Solemn Mass.

If the past is any indicator, there will be 200-300 people at the Evening Mass
Monday.

BTW, StMtV uses a lot of candles.

Cheers,
Jim Guthrie