[Magdalen] Are we down?

James Oppenheimer-Crawford oppenheimerjw at gmail.com
Sun Feb 1 15:58:37 UTC 2015

That was probably James Pike's problem.  He just got some candles and tried
to use them on the altar, and Fr. Cummins (or his shade) kept coming and
blowing them out.
Paul Moore was a seminarian at the church under Pike at the time, and
affirmed that this happened.

All that was dwarfed (no insult to little people intended by this
terminology) by the event where a bat chased Pike out of the sanctuary.
Bats kept appearing from time to time.  I actually saw one make its
appearance when the death of a lady was announced. She had been a
parishioner back in the day who had been fond of Pike.

Still, who knows? Maybe a blessing of the candles might have placated
Cummins (he was low church, and saw absolutely no good coming out of any
(any) use of candles on the altar. Having been rector for fifty years, I
guess he felt he owned the place -- the fact that he now no longer had a
pulse notwithstanding.  I hear it's sometimes hard to let go....

James W. Oppenheimer-Crawford
on this Earth.”  -- *Roberto Clemente