[Magdalen] Washington Post article on involuntary hospitalization of the mentally ill

Ann Markle ann.markle at aya.yale.edu
Tue Feb 3 00:21:43 UTC 2015

Susan, I read this article -- for some reason, it took me all day.  I
remember making home visits to clients sometimes, and finding their living
quarters in a condition that didn't seem good to me, but it's a hard line
to draw, between "each to his (or her) own," vs. "these conditions are
hazardous to the client and other building residents, or signs of worsening
condition."  The article in the NY Times was almost opposite, about the
closing of the Brooklyn Psychiatric Center and a man who had been admitted
for the better part of 30 years, and what would be his life now.  The
article made me sad, and glad I don't have to make those kinds of decisions
about clients.

Ann

The Rev. Ann Markle
Buffalo, NY