[Magdalen] Bishop Cook: Another unfortunate piece of the story

Grace Cangialosi gracecan at gmail.com
Tue Feb 3 21:58:43 UTC 2015

If she was seen to be drunk (Let's not fancy it up by calling her "inebriated."), then in my opinion, Sutton and the PB should have taken her aside and said the whole thing needed to be put on hold. ESPECIALLY since they knew about the previous DUI !

There's a reason the ordination--and wedding--services have that breath-holding moment when the question is asked, "If anyone knows of any reason why [this wedding/ordination] should not take place..."

Would it have been embarrassing? Of course. Might Tony Paterno still be alive? No way to know for sure, of course, but the odds would have been better, because she might have gone back into rehab at that point.

And consecrations have been set aside before, sometimes close to the last minute. Bob Trache, a priest in our diocese, was elected bishop of Atlanta some years back. A few weeks before his consecration date, as he was preparing to leave VA, he informed his wife that he wasn't taking her with him, because he was in love with someone else. AND it was learned that he had filed for bankruptcy!  The tragedy was that he was a brilliant and gifted priest...

We elected Tony Campbell as one of two suffragan, along with Clay Mathews, and while the consent process was underway, a former parishioner of Tony's came forward with accusations of sexual impropriety. I don't know if she ever filed formal charges, but at that point our Standing Committee requested that he remove himself from the process, which he did.