[Magdalen] Bishop Cook: Another unfortunate piece of the story

Sally Davies sally.davies at gmail.com
Wed Feb 4 07:57:43 UTC 2015

If you drive under the influence, you don't get to blame others for
accidents. It alters the probabilities completely.

I'm puzzled by the "we as a church have a problem with drink" idea. Is that
only in the USA, or elsewhere in the Communion? I'm sure not here.
Anglicans are less likely to be abstinent than other protestant church
members but as a group not more likely to abuse, I'm sure of that.

Perhaps because of the strong evangelical influence in this part of the
world? And also that ideas of social responsibility attach to alcohol abuse
in particular. The entire society has severe problems with alcohol
abuse/dependency, so if Christians are involved with social ministry in a
spirit of love and empowerment (as most churches are), you have to be
sensitive to that.

What I'm not hearing in all this, is more about the qualities that Bp Cook
possessed which influenced others to overlook such an obvious disaster
waiting to happen, despite presumably having at least SOME objectivity.
Other than the speculation about wanting to make her someone else's problem
which sounds exceptionally bleak.

Sally D