[Magdalen] Bishop Cook: Another unfortunate piece of the story

ME Michaud michaudme at gmail.com
Wed Feb 4 13:32:22 UTC 2015

It makes sense historically. Most of the early American Protestant
churches were proudly pro-Temperance, then rabidly Prohibitionist.
And anti-immigrant, too, so the home consumption of wine made
them flinch. Many Protestants "signed the pledge," promising never
to drink any alcohol ever. Our cousins the Methodists were frontrunners.
Episcopalians were more urban & urbane, tended to have traveled
outside the USA, and had a much more relaxed attitude about alcohol
consumption.

That history of tolerance has come back to bite us.
-M

BTW, one of my friends had to explain to a hard-partying young fellow
that: if he showed up drunk at his wedding, my friend wouldn't marry him.
The young man squawked, so my friend explained that it was not because
it would be unseemly, but because he wouldn't be able to make his vows
unless he was sober. The bride listened. The groom arrived sober. Roger's
point makes sense over here, too. And not a bad modeling of responsible
behavior at a crucial time in this young man's life, either.