[Magdalen] Bishop Cook: Another unfortunate piece of the story

Ann Markle ann.markle at aya.yale.edu
Wed Feb 4 13:58:39 UTC 2015

I agree with Ginga, except to say that in this instance, the church is a
reflection of the larger culture as a whole.  The church doesn't get off
scot-free, of course, but it is embedded in a culture of denial and the
narcissistic wish to see what one wants to see.  I understand about being
in the last stages of a search process, thinking you've found your
"perfect" candidate, and managing "not to hear" some inconvenient bit of
information that might have put the kibosh on the whole thing.  I've seen
it on both ends - the "searcher" and the "searchee."  I understand about
wanting to believe someone you regard highly is really, thoroughly in
recovery, when they're actually not, but are keeping secrets.  I also
understand the shame and the secret-keeping.  I don't excuse any of this
sick behavior, but I get it.  Someone gave me an article from the Buffalo
News on "The Theology of Addiction" (pretty superficial, as you can
imagine, but touching on sin, forgiveness, redemption).  I think a LOT more
work needs to be done on this, including denial as lying to (sinning,
bearing false witness against) self, neighbor, and God, etc.  I think there
are sermons and sermons in this, especially for my 12-step service on
Thursdays.

Ann

The Rev. Ann Markle
Buffalo, NY