[Magdalen] National TEC policy on Alchol in the Church

Ann Markle ann.markle at aya.yale.edu
Thu Feb 5 00:10:20 UTC 2015

Marion??  Maybe I read this superficially, but I don't see how this is a
problem.  I do realize that in a pub "non-alcoholic alternatives" are not
offered "with equal attractiveness and accessibility."  But most know
non-alcoholic options are available in any bar.  I often drink club soda
and lime.  I wouldn't do the pub thing myself, but realize that some find
it attractive.

I do appreciate seeing this (TEC policy), and am glad it doesn't recommend
banning alcoholic beverages from parish social events.  I've been to a
couple of parishes that did this (banned alcoholic beverages), but I
disagree with the practice.

And the Methodist guy was named Welch, not Welsh.  He lived and grew his
grapes right here in Western New York.  Near Mayville, to be exact.  It's
only the last few years that you could purchase alcoholic beverages on the
grounds of the Chautauqua Institution (though you could discreetly bring
your own in), being founded by Methodists and all.

Ann

The Rev. Ann Markle
Buffalo, NY
ann.markle at aya.yale.edu