[Magdalen] another train wreck

Jim Guthrie jguthrie at pipeline.com
Thu Feb 5 13:11:54 UTC 2015

>>Any information about eliminating these crossings by the construction
>>of overpasses and underpasses?

>It is a congested area of the country, and I suppose it may be  impractical
>to fix them all.

Crossings are eliminated from time to time, but one bridge might cost
$100-million or more, and usually such a project requires several bridges. And
the NIMBYs fight them all the time because raising the tracks will cause noise
and dislocation during construction, and "ruin their view"  when completed.
There's an on and off battle royale about this on the Long Island Railroad's
Main Line in Nassau County these days.

Then there was the case of the Van with six teenagers at the Herrick's Road
Crossing near Mineola, who puled out of the traffic lane when the gates came
down and tried to drive around the gates -- and ended up with all six being
killed.

Was the discussion about the driver being stupid? No, it was about the railroad
train not stopping in time.

The result was a$100 million grade crossing elimination at that ONE crossing,
with a fairly steep grade on each side.

OTOH, Robert Moses, the Master Builder -- eliminated hundreds of grade
crossings -- dozens in Brooklyn, and making the entire Babylon line of the LIRR
grade-separated, so trains there can routinely hit 80 mph without fear of
hitting a motorist.

Cheers,
Jim Guthrie