[Magdalen] another train wreck

James Oppenheimer-Crawford oppenheimerjw at gmail.com
Thu Feb 5 15:46:41 UTC 2015

Well, the driver is dead, so it is hard to get her side of the story.  I
have no idea where the information came from that said she got out of her
car and tried to get back in again and then was struck.  It's so sad that
people think they have enough time to get out of the way when they really
don't.  This is apparently a pretty common thing.  We read about it and
ask, "How could they have been so (you know the rest!)...?" But I read
about it often enough to believe that folks have this false perception that
they have time to get away. Perhaps it has to do with the real alteration
of our perception of time when under a great deal of stress.

I read about an experiment where people were told to estimate time passage,
and then were asked to do so again while falling backwards out of a (yes,
perfectly sound) airplane.

They were able to demonstrate that for people subjected to stress, their
actual perception of time slows down.  Of course, it actually does not.  I
have never heard of anyone talking about this, but it might be the reason
in crises like these the person who ought to have (huge quotes) known
better (\H.Q.) allows self to be killed.

The experiment alluded to most likely needs to be replicated, but if this
is found to be an accurate finding, perhaps it ought to be publicized more
to sensitize people to the real danger of false time perception in a crisis
situation.

James W. Oppenheimer-Crawford
on this Earth.”  -- *Roberto Clemente