[Magdalen] Is it spring yet?

Grace Cangialosi gracecan at gmail.com
Thu Feb 5 16:09:59 UTC 2015

Some of my birds seem to think so! Yesterday there were two pairs of bluebird singing their little hearts out over by the boxes. I just hope they don't plan to nest anytime soon, because the babies will freeze!

But looking out my kitchen window right now, I can see three enormous crows eating cracked corn on the ground, blue jays, mourning doves, cardinals, juncos, chickadees, titmice, lots of blue jays, a Carolina wren, a downy and a red-bellied woodpecker at the suet feeder, and a couple of sparrows. Some starlings left a little while ago. Haven't seen any house finches or goldfinches this morning, but they're around.

Now, all of these are around all winter, but so far the bluebirds are the only ones tuning up for spring. It won't be long!