[Magdalen] Fwd: National TEC policy on Alcohol in the Church

Cantor03 at aol.com Cantor03 at aol.com
Thu Feb 5 16:19:42 UTC 2015

____________________________________
 From: Cantor03 at aol.com
To: magdalen at herberthouse.orgly
Sent: 2/5/2015  11:18:30 A.M. Eastern Standard Time
Subj: Re: [Magdalen] National TEC  policy on Alcohol in the Church

In a message dated 2/5/2015 10:56:02 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
gracecan at gmail.com writes:

I  can't think of a single situation that *requires* alcohol, even a
wedding  reception.>>>>
I've been booze-free for 30 years, and it does not bother me to be
in the presence of alcohol.

However -

About 25 years ago I attended the annual banquet of the local NE PA
Chapter of the AGO=American Guild of Organists (Yes; I have been
known to play the pipe organ).  There was a preliminary snack  buffet
before we sat down to the meal, and there was a single bowl of  punch.

I hadn't had more than three or four sips of this pink liquid when I  began
to feel light-headed, and it was a strangely familiar sensation.   Then I
asked about the punch:  loaded with vodka and there was no  alternative.

I know; I should have enquired about the punch.

Those of us who have given up the booze are often very sensitive to
alcohol, so there it was.  I was "high".

On that occasion, I did scold the committee in charge of the banquet
to provide an alternate, and they quickly rolled out some coffee.

This all took place in our local Episcopal Church of Italian RC  background:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Holy-Cross-Episcopal-Church-Wilkes-Barre/1309
51546978475

David Strang.