[Magdalen] National TEC policy on Alcohol in the Church

Molly Wolf lupa at kos.net
Thu Feb 5 16:30:24 UTC 2015

No, making church an alcohol-free zone is because non-alcoholics don't need to drink, active alcoholics don't need enabling, and recovering alcoholics need a space where their disease is recognized, accepted, and accommodated, because for the, "self-control" has already proved unworkable.  If my parish serves wine at almost all social events and I'm supposed to absent myself, then what does that say about community and inclusiveness?

This situation is exactly what Paul nails in 1 Cor. with the meat-eating question.

Would you scoff at a church that went out of its way to accommodate wheelchair access because a couple of members couldn't manage stairs? Or should they stay away too?

Molly

The man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. -- Mark Twain