[Magdalen] Tyrrell's Hand-Cooked English "Chips"?

Roger Stokes roger.stokes65 at btinternet.com
Sat Feb 7 09:22:04 UTC 2015

On 07/02/2015 01:53, Scott Knitter wrote:
> Are these well known in the UK? I'm enjoying some of their Mature
> Cheddar & Chives flavour, "tremendous with a cheeky pickled onion,"
> although I haven't got one of those.
>
> I'm impressed that they're not fluorescent orange, as they would be if
> made in the USA so we would know they're supposed to taste cheesy.
>
> But I'm wary of the packet, which bears words like "chips" and
> "flavor." It does say the potatoes are from Herefordshire.

They will need to have repackaged because of different terminology. What
we call chips are what you would call fries while your chips are our
crisps.  Tyrrell's is not the dominant player in this market but is
becoming more widely available.  I don't eat them much but they are one
of the three brands I favour, possibly edging the other two (Piper's and
McCoy's) for flavour and crunch combination.

I have a feeling that they print on each pack the variety and/or the
specific farm the potatoes have come from.  Among crisps they are what I
would call a quality product for those who are prepared to pay more for
the added enjoyment.

Roger