[Magdalen] PB restricts Cook

Roger Stokes roger.stokes65 at btinternet.com
Tue Feb 10 23:27:46 UTC 2015

On 10/02/2015 22:08, Grace Cangialosi wrote:
> The Episcopal News Service is reporting that the PB has issued a "formal Canonical restriction" against Heather Cook. Among other things, she may not hold herself out as "an ordained person of this church in good standing" until all matters pertaining to the case have been resolved. The whole thing is on the Episcopal News Service website.

I notice from the website report that the inhibition notice includes a
reference to "misrepresentations you allegedly made to persons in the
Diocese of Easton and in connection to your candidacy for the episcopate
in the Diocese of Maryland regarding your experience with alcohol."  I
assume this refers to comments Bishop Cook may have made in relation to
the 2010 arrest and whether or not it was a one-off incident.

This development was to be expected.  I don't know how TEC deals with
ecclesiastical allegations linked to criminal allegations but this side
of the pond the Church would let the civil procedures run their course
before moving to judgement on the ecclesiastical allegations.  In this
way there can be no argument that the ecclesiastical procedures have
impeded the civil jurisdiction and a finding of guilt in a criminal
trial can be taken as evidence that offewnces have been committed.

My reading of Title IV is that until there has been an official
presentment by the panel of the Disciplinary Board of Bishops there is
the possibility of an agreement between Bishop Cook and the Diocese of
Maryland whereby she vacates her position as suffragan bishop.  Her
attorney would be well advised to consider this possibility alongside
preparing for the arraignment next month.

Roger