[Magdalen] RIP +Barbara Darling

Raewynne Whiteley raewynne1 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 15 11:27:43 UTC 2015

Barbara was a good friend of mine.  I went to her parish back in 1991, when
she was deacon in charge (women weren't ordained priest then) to explore my
sense of calling to the priesthood, as my home parish priest was not very
supportive of women in leadership (he believed in headship; women could be
ordained, but should serve under the authority of a man - he rightly
discerned that I wasn't going to be very comfortable with that model..!).

After beginning seminary, I spent another year in Barb's parish; she also
taught me at seminary.  It was so amazing to be present for her ordination
to the priesthood, and then again for her consecration as a bishop.  Two
years ago she invited me to lead a retreat day at the annual clergy
conference for her region. Sadly she retired earlier than would otherwise
have been expected for health reasons.

Barb has been a wonderful mentor and friend to me, and to many others.

Barb was always available - to her parishioners, clergy, friends.  But one
sadness for me as I've kept prayer vigil for her this last week, is the
wondering how much her tendency to skip regular days off affected her
health. It just niggles at me.

Blessings,
Raewynne