[Magdalen] Christ the King Anglican

James Oppenheimer-Crawford oppenheimerjw at gmail.com
Sun Feb 15 21:54:16 UTC 2015

The Episcopal Church isn't all like on Long Island.

I met a chaplain, an Episcopal priest, and a good guy, whose general
demeanor was more like a Southern Baptist.  He was from the South, and I
can only assume it worked well for him.

However, if anyone is feeling depressed, I read the Gallup poll people
performed a poll purported to pick up the particulars of belief in
inerrancy.

Turns out 27% believe the Bible's the perfect word of God, 47% think it's
kinda inspired by God and the rest think it's just fairy tales of old dead
guys (well, the terms were a little different, but you get my drift).  They
polled 1000 souls.

The good people of Biblical Archaeology Review wondered if their readers
were different, so they conducted their own poll, using the same wording,
and got responses from three thousand readers, and the stats were
essentially the same.

I guess it's a half-full, half-empty dichotomy.  One can say it's good that
only a quarter of the people believe that BS about the Bible being the
inerrant word of God, while others get depressed thinking that a quarter of
the general population can be that stupid.

I kind of take heart that half of everybody really truly gets it -- that
the bible is a pearl of great price, but it comes to us through human
agency, and is heir to all the pitfalls and problems included in that
package.

James W. Oppenheimer-Crawford
on this Earth.”  -- *Roberto Clemente