[Magdalen] Christ the King Anglican

Joseph Cirou romanos at mindspring.com
Fri Feb 20 19:30:51 UTC 2015

In the medieval Rite of Degradation, that was still in printed in the old
Pontificale (1908) but not in use; the offender was gradually divested of
all clerical vesture, an ordained priest had glass rubbed into his hands. I
don't know what happened to a degraded bishop's consecretion, something to
do with his head, but I don't know what. There have been various theologies
of the sacraments and majority and minority opinions of validity and the
moral principle; in rebus sacramentalibus nil est probablismus.

The Eastern church would include the dogma/concept of Economia. I am not
sure whether there is unamity among the Christian east on the ontological
state of an ordained priest, or bishop, or deacon who has become barred
from celebrating. (not merely excommunicated or temporarily impeded)
In the current Western Rite one is "barred from orders" but there are
circumstances where a priest who has been "reduced" to the lay state can
and should function as a priest especially in the danger of death of any
Christian.

Joe

Joe