[Magdalen] Pozole.

Joseph Cirou romanos at mindspring.com
Sun Feb 22 19:50:03 UTC 2015

I have loved pozole for years. I can't remember whether I had it first in a
home or a restaurant. It's certainly better that way than from the can, but
when homemade (including local taqueras) are not available it fills the
bill.

Now back at the corner of Fullerton and California in Chicago there was
such a restaurant that served several types of sopas--all served with the
vegetable and potato trimmings. Those were not necessarily meat dishes, but
pozole itself is. They had a sea food sopa that was to die for. I think it
may depend on the locale, because in some places sopas are sopapaillos
which are a dessert or breakfast pastry. The Argentinean restaurant (which
is/was more upscale) served quite acceptable sopas that were not that
different, but I imagine they played to their clientele, but this was a
fine dining (but reasonably priced) establishment and they had Argentinean
art, poetry readings and music.
I don't remember that the Peruvian band that played at my 25th anniversary
reception ever played there, but I must have found out about them. We also
had a gourmet Peruvian restaurant; maybe they are the ones or just the
Spanish folk groups that played at our churches it's been a while.  Is
Frida's still open around Damen and Armitage?
It was dedicated to the memory of Frida Kahlauo(sp) and copies or originals
filled the walls and the food was wonderful and so was the ambience. Our
secretary was Mexican and I was rewarded for my Spanish lessons by getting
free meals at the local Mexican restaurants. This lady could make a mean
cold fish salad. The name just slipped my mind, but we had it frequently.
Our rectory was lavender with Hispanic cuisine.  Ceviche was her specialty.
Down here the Jamaicans use the word ceviche but it is a main course not
cold marinated fish salad.

Joe