[Magdalen] Rant

Allan Carr allanc25 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 25 07:55:23 UTC 2015

I sent this to another list, but as time passes, I'm more and more aware
that Bishop Schori is talking to each one of us in whatever our
circumstances.

------------------------------

On Healing and Wholeness

Healing is the primary work of people of faith and the communities of which
they are a part.  Christians, as disciples of One who came to save (rescue,
heal, make whole) the world and its inhabitants, seek to heal their
relationships with one another and with all that is.

Episcopalians believe this is God's mission and we are its ministers or
servants.  We are meant to seek to repair what is breached and broken, to
stitch up what is torn, to heal what is sick, to release what is imprisoned
and oppressed, to comfort the dying, to encourage the ignored, forlorn, and
grieving. Our life finds meaning in responding to the cries around us and
within us, as individuals in community. We follow One who was himself
vilified, tortured, and finally executed for proclaiming the possibility of
reconciled relationships in communities divided by poverty, violence, and
religion.

The tragic death of Thomas Palermo challenges us all to attend to the work
of healing.  We cannot restore what is past, but we can seek reconciliation
and wholeness for all who have been affected - the Palermo family, Heather
Cook, the biking community and others in Baltimore, the Diocese of
Maryland, bystanders and onlookers who have witnessed any of these
traumatic events.

We begin in prayer - lament and wailing at loss and at human frailty.  We
continue in prayer - for succor and comfort, for compassion, for
transformation and healing.  Episcopalians worship a God who came among us
in fragile human flesh and suffered pain and death at the hands of other
human beings. We understand his resurrection to mean that death does not
have the final word - and that healing and wholeness transcend the grave.
That healing is never quick or easy, it does not "fix" what has already
happened, but it does begin to let hope grow again.

Our task is that hard work of healing. It requires vulnerability to the
pain of all involved - victims, transgressors, onlookers, friends and
families and coworkers and emergency responders and community members. A
violent death often divides communities, yet ultimately healing requires us
all to lower our defenses enough to let others minister to us, to hear
another's pain and grief, to share our own devastation, and indeed to look
for the possibility of a new and different future. Healing also comes
through a sense of restored order, which is the role of processes of
accountability.

Healing requires hope for a redeemed future for the Palermo family as well
as Heather Cook. Many have been changed by this death, yet their lives are
not ended. They can be healed and transformed, even though the path be long
and hard. Our work is to walk that path in solidarity with all who grieve
and mourn. May we pray with the psalmist, "Yea, even though I walk through
the valley of the shadow of death, you are with me." May we also be that
companioning presence, the image of God in the flesh, for those who walk
through that valley.

*The Most Rev. Katharine Jefferts Schori*
*Presiding Bishop and Primate*
*The Episcopal Church*

--
Allan Carr