[Magdalen] Home from trip, w/ Update (some Good, some Bad, news).

M J [Mike] Logsdon mjl at ix.netcom.com
Thu Jan 1 01:50:54 UTC 2015

The good news is that Enterprise managed to get me a car yesterday around noon (a Hyundai, ick), and it works like a charm.  And the Good News is that this morning as we were pulling out of Mom's place, the auto repair place called and said that they found me an engine!  In only two days!!!  It apparently meets all the appropriate specification parameters for a quality refurbished engine.  It will arrive at their shop Friday, work to begin first thing Monday, and I should be able to pick it up Friday.  What an ordeal.  But it's nice to at least sense that the strangers you've given your car to for a week or so are trustworthy.  (The shop is part of a local Reno chain that comes highly recommended.)

The Bad News is about Mom.  She really did take a turn after the Weiner died and the falls happened.  Her memory is standard for her situation in life.  She can remember something you told her a month ago, but not what you said to her a minute ago.  Mobility, and I admit to a bit of hyperbole here, appears to be somethink like 3%.  Kenneth and I immediately concurred that it's entirely possible that she won't be in this facility much longer, because it doesn't function as a "rest home", which could easily be what she needs sooner than later.  It was even the first time Everett and I forewent taking her out to dinner on our final night, because the temp was below freezing, and the wind was harsh.  (We brought her Thai leftovers, though, and she was tickled.)

I guess the other good news is that Kenneth and I "buried the hatchet" over drinks and conversation at the downstairs bar a couple days ago.  We're by no means "friends", but we admitted we needed to be "friendly", due to Mom's condition and the events that are surely in the offing.  Once Mom's gone, we can freely be orphans with a clear conscience.

Thanks to all for the prayers.