[Magdalen] CORRECTION ! - was Home from trip, w/ Update (some Good, some Bad, news).

M J [Mike] Logsdon mjl at ix.netcom.com
Thu Jan 1 20:57:49 UTC 2015

>>>I know that sounds a bit blunt, but it is important.  Afterwards, as you
say, you can each go your own way when there is nothing (apart from
shared blood) to tie you together.<<<

Not at all blunt, Roger, and much appreciated in a fine-tuning way.  My point in mentioning the armistice, itself, was intended to be blunt, so as to emphasise the uniqueness of the relationship at the present and future moments, as you indicate.

When Kenneth is in the spotlight, he's your best friend.  Take the meeting when the hatchet was buried.  We buried it in the retirement home bar (some bar!; in a retirement home; closes at 7 pm; and let's 16-yr-olds sit AT the bar -- not public, ie), with him even pretending to Everett that he'd "text him every now and then, just to say Hi".  We'll see.  His stepkid and wife and grandchildren were there as well, and said stepkid came over and, with no words at all, shook my and Everett's hand and walked away.  I've known that stepkid since he was a child.  No words.  That's how that family, with Kenneth now as titular head, works.  Mere necessity, not acknowledged beyond that.  I told Everett later, "That was your cousin Chris.  You've seen him once before, but don't remember him.  You'll see him next at the funeral.  Maybe."  Has Kenneth called to see we got home safely?  Nope.  Dare I call him?  Why?

The only good thing about Mom's eventual Departure, is that this will all go away.