[Magdalen] Singing the new year in

Grace Cangialosi gracecan at gmail.com
Fri Jan 2 05:08:49 UTC 2015

Just an added note or two:
This is the oldest continuous Harmonia Sacra singing in the country--always on New Year's night. No instruments except a pitch pipe at the beginning, just 200 or so folks singing wonderful four-part harmony with the parts scattered randomly among the crowd, no separate "sections" for the various parts. Lots of leaders, usually doing one song of their choice.
They always take a kind of census to see where people come from, and tonight they ranged from Florida to Minnesota with a heavy concentration from VA, of course, WV, which is only about 20 miles from Harrisonburg, Kentucky and Ohio.
Like Susan, after nearly two hours of non-stop singing, I had hardly any voice by the time we left!
I think this was my third time attending this. Listsib Cady came with us one year.