[Magdalen] coffee

Grace Cangialosi gracecan at gmail.com
Mon Jan 5 00:15:12 UTC 2015

Your comments about shopping at the PX in Germany brought back a pleasant memory. When I was in high school we lived on a small base in Schwäbisch Gmünd, about 40 miles from Stuttgart. The PX was very small and hardly ever got in any classical LP's. That was the only kind of music I would listen to in those days, and I would comb through  the rack anytime we went to the PX. If there was a classical album, I'd buy it--whether I'd ever heard of it or not. The clerk started putting aside any recordings of the  classical albums that came in and calling me so I'd have first chance at them.
It was there I first heard and bought the Brandenburg Concertos with Fritz Reiner conducting, the Beethoven piano concertos with Rubenstein, and Toscanini's recordings of the
Beethoven symphonies. I also bought and hated recordings of Ives, Carter, Ravel, etc.  Later I came to appreciate most of those as well.