[Magdalen] Epiphany

Roger Stokes roger.stokes65 at btinternet.com
Mon Jan 5 22:30:38 UTC 2015

On 05/01/2015 21:42, Jim Guthrie wrote:

> Have we not picked up on the fact that no two parishes do everything
> alike in TEC yet?

That is the pain for clergy who guest in different parishes.  TEC allows
fewer options but it can be a right pain this side of the pond.  "It's
normal Order X, Father" - yes, but with which options? What is missed
out?  Where do you have hymns?  What am I expected to sing or allow time
for the organ to give the congregation the note? Are you keeping the
feast of St Mildred of Patagonia as you have a special devotion to her?

I recall way back when I was in seminary we had a visiting preacher for
the main college Eucharist on the Friday evening.  He had prepared his
sermon on the readings for the previous Sunday not realising that we had
a daily Eucharist and were using what was then called the Daily
Eucharistic Lectionary.

In the C/E we have the option to observe the Epiphany on the Second
Sunday of Christmas when there is one as there was this year as it does
most years.  Some years ago it was realised that there is a problem when
6 January falls on a Sunday and the Baptism of Christ was observed the
following Sunday, putting us out of sync with others following RCL.  Now
if Epiphany falls on a Sunday then the Baptism of Christ is observed the
next day (or not at all) so getting round this problem.

Roger