[Magdalen] How cold is cold?

Charles Wohlers charles.wohlers at verizon.net
Wed Jan 7 22:50:23 UTC 2015

It's -5F here right now, with a predicted low tonight of -19; wind chill
to -35. I had Lee stop at the hardware store to get a new outdoor extension
cable for a heater in the greenhouse, so my poor little rosemary plant
(which has survived several winters in the greenhouse) won't succumb.
However, the circuit breaker keeps tripping, so there must be some other
problem. Rosemary is good to ~10F, and I do have several barrels of water in
there to mitigate the cold, so it may survive. We'll see.

Even down in Mass., a bit NW of Eleanor, it's due to get down to -3, wind
chill of -19. This is colder than it usually will get all winter there. I
need to call son Thomas to see if he can get down there and check on the
furnace - it's steam heat, and it runs out of water every so often, which
would not be a good thing in this kind of weather.

Chad Wohlers
where we've had a white Thanksgiving (unusual), white Christmas, and white
Epiphany (totally normal)
Woodbury, VT USA
chadwohl at satucket.com