[Magdalen] How cold is cold?

Cantor03 at aol.com Cantor03 at aol.com
Thu Jan 8 13:53:34 UTC 2015

It's 5 F now in these Pennsylvania Poconos, with a high predicted  of
12.  Back down to 2 F tonight, but then somewhat  warmer.

If this is the big week for winter, it pales with what we had here 25  and
more
years ago.  To give an example of global warming:

We have had the coldest and snowiest days on record since I've  lived
here, but both (different winters) about 25 years ago (-24 F and 38"  snow
in
a 24 hour period).

It hasn't been below zero here for about 15 years.  We've  changed from
USDA Climate Zone 5a to 5b/6a in a quarter century.

They were offering Southern Magnolias (Magnolia grandiflora) for
planting here last spring.

What's next - palm trees?

David Strang - In Southern Luzerne County Pennsylvania.