[Magdalen] Epiphany

Ann Markle ann.markle at aya.yale.edu
Thu Jan 8 19:06:09 UTC 2015

Grace, it's obvious that mileage does vary on this list - about Paul and
everything else!  But anyone who doesn't understand might grow in wisdom by
trying to understand. - and Jay said clearly she DIDN'T understand (why
Paul got into the canon of scripture).  I always learned (from very wise
teachers) that it's better to wrestle with scripture and try to better
understand, than categorically dismiss.  And of course, it's ok to disagree
with parts of scripture -- I certainly do, even parts of Paul, and so does
every single person I know, lay or ordained.  I think Jay and I are simply
having a disagreement about Paul, into which you felt it necessary to
insert your opinion and take me to task.  Of course, that's allowed, too,
as differing opinions are what make pub conversation interesting.  It's
when it gets personal by attributing personal characteristics, moods and
motivations (Ann Markle is snarky, condescending) that it gets to be time
to bow out of the conversation and let others have the last word.  Sorry I
spoke up with a differing opinion - I guess I should have known better.

Ann

The Rev. Ann Markle
Buffalo, NY
ann.markle at aya.yale.edu