[Magdalen] Accommodation in New York City

Lynn Ronkainen houstonklr at gmail.com
Sat Jan 10 19:33:15 UTC 2015

I think the only issue NYC is having with Airbnb is that the hotels in NYC
do not like the fact that people are making money without having to charge
the huge tax assessed on lodging and other ways that Airbnb might be cutting
into their business. Most major cities have hotel tax rates 3-4 times the
amount of regular sales tax... in Houston I think it is 17% or more and this
is also charged at airport parking as well (and all parking within a certain
distance of the airport) - much of it to supposedly 'tax tourists' coming to
Houston to pay for sports stadiums etc.

Airbnb is a website that connects people who need lodging with people who
are 'letting out' a room(s)... kind of like what they called 'guest houses'
or tourist's houses back when I was a kid. Same principle only they
advertised for themselves and there was no middle man.  I remember looking
in a Toronto yellow pages in my home library in suburban Detroit for a
tourist house when my college roommate and I took the train to Toronto for
spring break one year in the early '70s. I stayed in several places in NYC
back in the late 70s that were part of a 'you had to know someone' group of
people who had a secret network of rooms for let for a night or two, some at
some pretty swanky places. You had to know someone to even get the unlisted
number and then the person taking the calls would vet you over the phone,
check with a few *clients* who might be willing to host you, and then you
got a call from the prospective host.  Again, traveling with a friend we
stayed at a woman's two-story co-op apartment on 5th ave. She asked us to
say we were her visiting nieces if we were asked on the elevator or by the
doorman...

I do agree that IF NYC manages to somehow prohibit Airbnb before Ian's
travel, it would become a bit of a sticky wicket.

Lynn

My email  is changing soon to: houstonKLR at gmail.com

website: www.ichthysdesigns.com

attributed to Erma Bombeck