[Magdalen] US Higher Education

Roger Stokes roger.stokes65 at btinternet.com
Sun Jan 11 18:12:51 UTC 2015

On 11/01/2015 17:30, Brian Reid wrote:
> At the two US universities where I have taught, you need not ever
> attend a class if you can pass its examinations.

I accept and welcome that.  The credential should recognize what you
know at the end of the course.

formerly Editor of the Chronicle of Higher Education.  His premise seems
to be that online and mixed mode education can be more effective than
face to face, as well as being cheaper, and that proper credit should be
given for this modality of education.

A side issue is that there has been too much emphasis on the importance
of a college degree and this may not be worth (in the long term) the
amount spent on acquiring it.  From this side of the pond I think that
is a valid issue.

Roger