[Magdalen] US Higher Education

Scott Knitter scottknitter at gmail.com
Mon Jan 12 14:43:33 UTC 2015

On Sun, Jan 11, 2015 at 11:20 AM, Roger Stokes
<roger.stokes65 at btinternet.com> wrote:
> Is this really the case - turn up and you get the credits with minimal
> testing?

The one unusual course I had in terms of attendance (this is
undergraduate years) was Abnormal Psychology class in Summer Term. The
professor lectured thrice per week; attendance was optional, as grades
were based entirely on a set of weekly papers to be written about the
(fairly voluminous) assigned reading. So hardly anyone attended the
lectures, of course. Not that anyone should ever learn anything that
isn't directly aimed at grading. But like everyone else, I showed up
weekly and joined the queue of folks in shorts and t-shirts (or
less...beachwear, practically) to drop off our weekly paper and head
back into the sunshine. I think I did very well on the papers but wish
I had taken advantage of the professor's lectures, which were actually
very good.

--
Scott R. Knitter
Edgewater, Chicago, Illinois USA