[Magdalen] Update on Mom.

M J [Mike] Logsdon mjl at ix.netcom.com
Tue Jan 13 00:12:44 UTC 2015

Much the same, just more observation, since I had to go back so soon.

Virtually no mobility, but I noticed two times that when she doesn't have to focus on movement, her mind is nearly as sharp as ever.  Once, when I caught her napping, she started conversing but didn't bother trying to get up.  I thought it would be a bust, but in a matter of seconds she confirmed exactly what she wanted for dinner (Hawaiian pizza), and understood exactly when I'd be up to wheel her to my apartment.  The next time was during dinner.  The right setting, the right angle of my voice to her hearing aide, and a very watery bourbon and water on ice, and it was like the old Mom.  Brief moments, I know, with no change to the facts, but it was different, and nice.

Next morning when I left, she wanted to walker herself with me to the front desk for my check-out.  Half-way to the elevator, energy was gone, I got her back home, and with some trepidation, said Good-bye.  Later that evening, I think after her dinner, I called and left a message that I'd made it home safely, enjoyed the visit, etc.  She emails today and says when I called she was napping, reached for the phone, fell out of bed, and couldn't get up.  Three workers came to help her up.  And she tellingly says (in ALL CAPS yet) that that wsan't the first time.  Thanks for the evidence, Mom; I'll be filing that email!