[Magdalen] Remarkable letter...

Jay Weigel jay.weigel at gmail.com
Thu Jan 15 15:48:17 UTC 2015

Ah, Judy, you certainly lead a sheltered life! <smile>

Michelle and Jim Bob Duggar are the "poster kids" for the Quiverfull
movement, the stars of the TV show "19 Kids and Counting", parents of 19
children, unabashed right-wing hyper-Christian fundamentalists who live in
Arkansas and make a career out of telling people they should have as many
kids as God will allow them, discriminate against LBGT folk, vote for right
wing Republicans, etc. I find them unbelievably creepy. Their older kids
are now starting to get married, and Jim Bob does not allow them to date,
they are only allowed to "court", and they are not allowed to be alone
while they are courting, or to hold hands or embrace or, God forbid,
kiss.....they are only allowed "side hugs" and those only in front of the
parents, who break them up if they go on too long. All the kids are
home-schooled by Michelle with a curriculum "approved" by Jim Bob, the
girls have not been allowed to go to college, and I don't think the boys
have either, not even fundamentalist Christian colleges. Even the unmarried
kids in their mid-20s are still living at home with mommy and daddy.