[Magdalen] Trouble for Twin Towers.

Cantor03 at aol.com Cantor03 at aol.com
Fri Jan 16 16:31:20 UTC 2015

In a message dated 1/16/2015 11:06:39 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
jguthrie at pipeline.com writes:

But  it is quite rational to demolish church buildings and sell the land
and
maybe give the money to the poor  (to follow Jesus?) than to give in  to
nostalgia for those "bare ruined  choirs.">>>>

I don't think anyone feels that these many architectural treasures
can rationally be saved.  We can still mourn their departure.  I  wouldn't
describe that "giving in to nostalgia".  I'm not one for great  knowledge
of scripture, but isn't there something about Jesus saying "the poor
you always have..."?

And believe me the profit from the sale of these properties is not  being
handed out to the poor, but rather enriching the coffers of the RC
Diocese of Scranton.  In this process there is not a stone left  unturned.

I watched one landmark German ethnic parish building in Scranton
be stripped of its pipe organ, Stations of the Cross, pews, images, altar
and
crucifix, and finally its Munich stained glass,  leaving the window  spaces
forlorn and boarded up (think hurricane style) before the church, its
rectory and elementary school were razed.  A healthy profit was  turned
because it was a busy corner property.  A Liberty State Bank now
occupies the spot.

David Strang.