[Magdalen] the ironies of heading south

Roger Stokes roger.stokes65 at btinternet.com
Fri Jan 16 22:28:31 UTC 2015

On 16/01/2015 21:40, Marion Thompson wrote:
> Check your rearview mirror vicinity for sunroof control.  I am loving
> my heated seats -- and also the sunroof, which is forever unshielded,
> but probably not going to be opened anytime soon!.  Love the light!
> Have no use for the rearview camera.  I find I can see 'better' myself
> looking  back, but it may come when I truly understand what it's
> showing me!

The rental car I had last fall had a rear-view camera - the first time I
have experienced such a thing.  I found it useful if I was reversing
into a bay in a parking lot as I could position myself well with the
lines marking the bay.  The low height of the camera can also reveal
hazards which are invisible using the rear-view mirror or looking over
your shoulder through the rear window because they are too low and too
close.

I recall the story some months ago of someone getting out of her car to
see why her reversing sensor was sounding when she could see nothing
directly behind her.  A woman in the next door bay was loading shopping
into her car oblivious to the fact that her toddler was directly behind
a car in the adjacent bay and the child's head was below the edge of the
rear window.  It was only the sensor that prevented the child being run
over.

Roger