[Magdalen] the ironies of heading south

Roger Stokes roger.stokes65 at btinternet.com
Fri Jan 16 22:46:10 UTC 2015

On 16/01/2015 18:34, Lynn Ronkainen wrote:
> Whoot indeed!  Have a blast with all the bells and whistles!
> Lynn, in snowy and blistery Plymouth who did survive the drive down last night with snow, ice and maniacs using the Hazard Lane at 80 mph

A quick Google suggests this is what this side of the pond we call the
hard shoulder.  It is not a regular lane but where people can stop in an
emergency.  In the past few years in some places it may be opened at
times to provide an extra running lane, but only where signs are
switched on to permit it and there are speed cameras to monitor vehicle
speeds on all lanes.  Otherwise it is not to be used.

I recall some years ago somebody using it to pass a queue of slow-moving
traffic.  Unfortunately for the driver there was a police vehicle
stopped at the cause of the hold-up and he had a few questions to answer.

Roger