[Magdalen] the ironies of heading south

Grace Cangialosi gracecan at gmail.com
Sat Jan 17 17:18:45 UTC 2015

Oh, Marion...how awful!  I assume the doctors have checked for a concussion? That's what it sounds like. How long ago did this happen?

On January 17, 2015, at 12:07 PM, Marion Thompson <marionwhitevale at gmail.com> wrote:

Not quite.  It was a woman of mature years, not elderly by my standard,
who turned the corner too tightly out of the parking aisle I was
crossing to.  Doing my best to get out of her way, I remember seeing the
front fender of her modestly-sized car pass me.  Phew.  I believe I
wasn't knocked over by the side of her car, but rather, ' they say', by
her side mirror.  These things happen in a flash, a split second.  Lots
of people clustered round.    I remember what I assume was her anxious
face amongst the others looking down as I sat on the roadway and felt
very very sorry for her and what she must be feeling.  I'll go get the
police report on Monday so I  have a record of who's who and what was
what.  Being private property, it doesn't fall under the Highways Act,
so it would be up to me to say to the police if I want to make any charge.

Recovery is going slowly, for my taste!  No taste or smell.  Hell for
one who loves to eat!  Savouring textures only doesn't do it for me.
I'm cooking some maple-flavoured bacon right now to see if any of that
delicious aroma or taste can cross the line yet.  (Nada! Nothing.
Damn.) A certain amount of background noise in my head, not an
annoyance.  Some predictable giddiness if I bend over and back up again,
yes, I'm being careful.  And, though much less frequent the occasional
stab of pain,  in my ear or sinuses.  A general sort of wooliness.
Overall, I'm functioning just fine, with the obvious caveats.
Whatever. I've survived worse -- and will again.  Time time time -- I
wish I knew how much!  I'm sure folks  will cut me a lot of slack for my
sermon tomorrow, but I'm confident it will be just fine.  For me it's a
non-negotiable commitment (and personal pleasure) and my task for today
is to finish it off.  Yes, resting, too, which for me is lounging about
and TV and computer and reading -- none of which bothers me.  YAY!

Meanwhile, my daughter drove to me to Cobourg  (about an hour from my
home and where the application was filed by Jim)  for the Case
Conference with a judge over this darn divorce thing.   (A
without-prejudice meeting  of the parties and their lawyers at which a
judge, who has reviewed the information, gives his view of things in an
effort to avoid it going to court to be settled in a crap shoot with a
(differrent) judge who could well uphold that bloody Agreement signed so
long ago.  Timing is everything in life, isn't it?  :-D  That all went
in a very civilised manner, as you would expect from us.  Even the judge
commented on our reported and obvious civility. -- I guess they see all
kinds of horrors where the parties are like scorpions in a bucket.  We
think we are 'moving forward' and, beyond  some less palatable parts
being tweaked upward, if we can, I like to think we will come to some
reasonable resolution.  Didn't some judge/mediator/arbitrator once
comment that  a good solution is one in which neither side is completely
happy?

So there we are.  My report from  the fast lane in my endlessly-exciting
life!!!!

Marion, a pilgrim   ... today my sail I lift ....