[Magdalen] Please pray for Ascension, Chicago

Roger Stokes roger.stokes65 at btinternet.com
Sat Jan 17 21:41:24 UTC 2015

On 17/01/2015 13:26, Lynn Ronkainen wrote:
> I understand your point more than I did at first David. Were this a cathedral there might be more chance of retaining status quo in some areas. It is always possible that there are other details in the mix unknown by many. Change IS hard. Being able to see the vision of someone new is often difficult especially when it seems incongruent.

I wonder if that particularly applies to the departure of the
administrator.  Obviously I have no way of knowing if this applied at
Ascension but it is not unknown for administrative staff to seek to
thwart the intentions of those who are meant to be leaders.  (In a
different context this was an ongoing theme in the BBC TV series "Yes,
Minister" and "Yes, Prime Minister". )

The Rector is there to lead the parish and the administrator to provide
support in putting his and the vestry's policies into effect.  Any
attempt on the part of the administrator to impose their will is /ultra
vires/, though they can and should draw attention to any organizational
issues the decision-makers need to be aware of.  If the administrator
seeks on a number of occasions to overrule the official policy then that
relationship needs to be terminated.  At the same time the process
behind the termination may well remain confidential.  A frequent method
in this country would be a compromise agreement whereby the employee
receives a lump sum settlement and, basically, both sides agree not to
say anything negative about the other and to keep the detail of the
arrangement (the amount paid, etc.) confidential.

Roger