[Magdalen] Need chairs for nave!

Cantor03 at aol.com Cantor03 at aol.com
Wed Jan 21 17:48:47 UTC 2015

In a message dated 1/21/2015 12:27:04 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
michaudme at gmail.com writes:

Once the  chairs are in place, there's no way to bring
a walker in. And no arms on  the chairs. Sad>>>>

I could write a book about waiting areas, including those of
physicians who should know better.  The biggest problem for
me is the lack of arms on the chairs, and railings at the entrances
and in the clinic area.

And while on the subject of chairs in the nave, I happened to
surf upon the James Chapel of the Union Theological Seminary,
NYC.  This is a ravishing gothic revival building with  hammer-beam
vaulting, and exquisite stained glass dating from c. 1909.

It was also designed in Presbyterian high church Anglican look-alike
style with an altar and divided choir and lots of red oak  wainscoting.
Then in 1980 the oak pews were removed and replaced by chairs
and the traditional gothic sanctuary removed in favor of a circular
arrangement with a central chair and altar of sorts.

I have no objection to the circular chair routine; it's done  periodically
in the summers at the local Procathedral.  Somehow, though, this
all looks just a little silly in a memorable gothic  structure.

David Strang.