[Magdalen] Diocese of Virginia 2015 Council Meeting

Grace Cangialosi gracecan at gmail.com
Sun Jan 25 03:47:00 UTC 2015

Candy,
I don't know anything about the slave trail in Alabama, but I've walked the one in Richmond, and it's quite an experience. It winds along the bank of the James River and then up to Lumpkin's Jail, where the slaves were kept. It ends at the site where Gabriel [Prosser?] was hanged. LHe had planned a slave rebellion before Nat Turner, but the plot was uncovered, and he was hanged. The site was a VCU parking lot at the time I was there, but I think it may have been restored since then. I know there is now a historical marker there dedicated to Gabriel and describing events that led to the hanging.

We walked the trail at night as part of a Juneteenth celebration in 2004, and it was a hair-raising experience. We walked by the light of a few torches through underbrush, stopping at a few places along the way where actors would present brief dramatic sketches of what might have taken place.  As we walked along, sometimes stumbling over roots or branches, I could only half imagine what it must have been like for the slaves, taken off the ship at Rocket's Landing and then marched for a couple of miles, shackled together, to an unknown destination by people whose language they couldn't understand.

A couple of years earlier I had visited the Slavery Museum in Liverpool and gone on a guided tour of many of their buildings and sites connected with the slave trade. It was a shock to see one of the huge marble buildings called the Alabama. The bronze plaque bearing the name of the building also has a Confederate flag on it.