[Magdalen] Bishop, please resign

Kate Conant kate.conant at gmail.com
Fri Jan 30 19:19:02 UTC 2015

I am not Joe, but this snippet from Wikipedia is true as far as I know.  I
knew of a priest at Annunciation Cathedral in Detroit who asked to be
laicized after his wife died leaving him with several young children.

Kate

Eastern Orthodoxy[edit
<http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Defrocking&action=edit&section=2>
]

Eastern Orthodox <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eastern_Orthodox> doctrine
does not state that the priesthood confers an indelible character on the
person's soul. Laicization removes the ordained status completely.[6]
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defrocking#cite_note-6>From the time of
laicization all actions of a former cleric that would have been considered
sacred are normally considered invalid.

*Laicization* of a cleric may come as a result of a request for removal
from sacred orders, or as an ecclesiastical punishment. In the first case,
very often, the cleric may ask to be laicized in order to enter a second
marriage <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marriage> after the divorce
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Divorce> or the death of the spouse. In this
case, the man remains in good standing with the Church but is no longer a
cleric.

Forced laicization or removal from sacred orders is a form of
ecclesiastical punishment, imposed by the ruling bishop of this cleric for
certain transgressions. According to the canonical procedure, if the cleric
is found guilty of an infringement of a sacred vow
<http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Sacred_vow&action=edit&redlink=1>,
unrepentant heresy <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heresy>, breaking of canon
law <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canon_law> or ecclesiastical discipline
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Discipline>, he can be suspended from
exercising all clerical functions. If, disregarding his suspension, he
continues to liturgize or does not repent of his actions, he may be
permanently deposed from the sacred orders (in common parlance,
"laicized"). Strictly speaking, the deposition can be appealed at the
ecclesiastical
court <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ecclesiastical_court>, but, in modern
practice, the bishop's decision is usually final.

Laicization as an ecclesiastical punishment may carry with it the
excommunication <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Excommunication> of the
former cleric from the church for a certain period, or indefinitely. The
anathema <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anathema>, the permanent act of
excommunication, against a member of the church or a former cleric is
usually imposed by the decision of the synod of bishops or the
ecclesiastical council. In such cases, this not only defrocks the former
cleric but also banishes him from entering an Orthodox
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eastern_Orthodox_Church> church, receiving
the Eucharist <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eucharist> and other sacraments
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sacraments>, and being blessed by a priest.

"What does the Lord require of you, but to do justice, love mercy, and walk
humbly with your God?"
Micah 6:8