[Magdalen] Whoops. We've got the Southern slavers' battle flag in the Nat...

Cantor03 at aol.com Cantor03 at aol.com
Wed Jul 1 14:25:35 UTC 2015

In a message dated 7/1/2015 9:44:27 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
oppenheimerjw at gmail.com writes:

The  Chapel (where Lee's beautiful sarcophagus is the substitute for  the
altar>>>>>

Reminds me of the burial sites for two other famous generals:

The Tombs of Napoleon (General and Emperor) and Josephine
are directly under the dome of the Invalides in Paris, and are
so situated that one must bow the head in order to see them.
Famously, even Hitler had to bow his head when visiting the
tombs.

Gen. Douglas MacArthur is interred next to his wife in an impressive
Italian Renaissance domed building that was the City Hall of the of
Norfolk, VA.  MacArthur had apparently picked this out as a  suitable
location for his tomb, and like Napoleon's Tomb under the dome
of the Invalides in Paris, it is necessary to bow one's head in order
to look down on these sarcophagi.

MacArthur was an Episcopalian, and much of the ceremonial for his
funeral was conducted accordingly.

David Strang.