[Magdalen] Whoops. We've got the Southern slavers' battle flag in the Nat...

Cantor03 at aol.com Cantor03 at aol.com
Wed Jul 1 16:08:47 UTC 2015

In a message dated 7/1/2015 10:59:50 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
scottknitter at gmail.com writes:

IMO  Mason Martens occasionally  needed to get over himself. But I  admire
his knowledge and work.>>>>

He was my close friend and confidant.  His was a unique personality,  but
despite his habitual sarcasm (he could put someone down with a word),
he was an absolute treasure.  To be with him any length of time, one  had
to understand this.

Despite his work on the '82 plainchant, his real expertise was  Renaissance
polyphony.  His edition of the Vivaldi "Gloria" is the worldwide  standard.

He achieved more recognition as a choral genius among the  Tridentines,
because his "100 Motets" book featuring Latin polyphony was much
treasured.

He managed to alienate the authorities at 815 with his frequent jibes
at all sorts of other musical personalities, but they still tolerated him
because
of his plainsong expertise.

They don't build 'em like Mason Martens any more.

David Strang.